Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Am I a Geek?

You know I talk about the oddness of my friends and me often. But I just realized that we really and truly DON'T have normal conversations.

Examples:

No. 1
Yesterday, Moon had an odd headache that was partly sinusitis, partly migraine. She inquired as to which med she should take: sinus med or Excedrin. So she began to describe what hurt. She started with the pressure in her face and pain in the eye then went into the pain in her upper occipital lobe and frontal lobe, parietal lobe, and along the sensory-motor cortex (she now gives me more info than she did last night). At first I just accepted the info and was about to give my suggestion when it hit me: most people don't discuss head pain in terms of lobes. Most say the side of my head hurts or the back of my head hurts. This is how communication normally takes place. But since the two of us like psychology our communication was a bit different. Can you tell me where her head was hurting? I doubt most could.

No. 2
Today I had a conversation with Perv on Facebook. We were talking and being, well his name, he asked me if he could be my secant* line. I promptly said no, and I would not spoon with him. He was first confused then it dawned on him that I understood him perfectly. I guess he thought he could get away with a perv suggestion. Too bad for him that I really like calculus. We continued talking and then he once again asked a perv question: If I were your endoplasmic reticulum* how would you want me? Now this is a question he knew I would get considering we are both bio majors.

Can you see how ridiculously geeky my friends and I are? But it is rather enjoyable when you can randomly go "I'm a scolex!" and people laugh and get you.

beaming up,
self

*secant line is a line that crosses a circle at two points. my reference to spooning was more preventative of him not trying to request being a tanget line



*endoplasmic reticulum (ER) is a part of cells which can be smooth or rough

No comments: